New York's new section of Fifth Avenue residences that make a concentration of wealth and splendor not equaled in any other capital of the world. Some of the well known people whose homes stand for the plutocratic side of the metropolis.
There are a good many miles of millionaires in New York. The Bowery, the east side and the west side, down town and up town, and every neighborhood of the borough of Manhattan, and the boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens, Richmond, and the Bronx, all these have their millionaires. In some sections there are few, in others many; but if all the millionaires living in Greater New York could be gathered together and were to reside on a single street there would be twenty continuous miles of them perhaps more, possibly forty miles. But as these rich men are scattered all over the town, and as there is only one section where a very great number of them are congregated, it is of this section we speak.
Fifth Avenue is the backbone of New York, the spinal column. This is not only true geographically, but socially and financially as well. The two miles under consideration extend from Murray Hill to Eightieth Street, and in these two miles there is more wealth than can be found in any other residential two miles of any city of the world. It was only a few years ago that the strictly millionaire line ran from Washington Square to Murray Hill; today it begins at Murray Hill and stretches northward almost as far as Harlem.
We have pictured only a few of the imposing buildings and handsome residences included in this new fashionable quarter. We could not give them all without devoting the entire magazine to this one article. Many of the buildings that we haven t pictured are quite as attractive architecturally as those we have.
This is the section of clubs and of palatial hotels, as well as of the homes of the Croesuses of the metropolis. No poor men reside within the limits of this plutocratic district. They cannot afford to do so. The aristocracy of descent and the aristocracy of brains are no more to be found here, except, perchance, the god of gold has smiled upon them, than are the longshoremen or the draymen. And the reason for this is that none but the very wealthy can maintain homes on this the most expensive residential avenue of any capital.
The repaving of Fifth Avenue with asphalt last fall made it at once the delight of the bicyclist and the parade ground of the pleasure driver, and, in fact, of everyone who can command a hansom. The hansom, by the way, has literally captured New York. They are as thick on Fifth Avenue as in Piccadilly, and are the joy of the feminine heart. The whole avenue is alive with them. They flit here and there and everywhere down in the shopping district, up among the big hotels and the clubs and the palaces that stir the passion of the socialist to envy.
From 59th Street to 110th, Fifth Avenue runs along the east side of Central Park. This is the newest, the most exclusive, and the most fashionable part of the avenue. Here the lavish expenditure of money on the homes of the multimillionaires makes all the world marvel. No such row of palaces can be found in any other city new, modern, beautiful, and all facing Central Park, with its soft green grass, its graceful and stately trees, its lakes and its walks and its drives.
|Here are a few of the names that go to make up the two miles of millionaires:|
Aston, William T.
Astor, John Jacob
Benedict, F. H.
Bishop, H. R.
Brice, Calvin S.
Brokaw, Isaac V.
Brokaw, W. V.
Burden, James A.
Butterfield, General Daniel
Cooke, H. H.
Eckert, General Thomas T.
Evans, Robert D.
Flagler, H. M.
Gerry, Elbridge T.
Goelet, Mrs. Ogden
Gould, Miss Helen
Haggin, James B.
Havemeyer, H. O.
Hopkins, Mrs. Moses
Huntington, Collis P.
Inman, John H.
Iselin, William. E.
Kip, Colonel Lawrence
Layng, James D.
Mackay, John W.
Mills, D. O.
Morrison, George A.
Morton, Levi P.
Newcomb, H. V.
Payne, Colonel Oliver H.
Plant, Henry B.
Pyle, James Tolman
Shepard, Mrs. Elliott F.
Sloane, William D.
Twombly, H. McK.
Vanderbilt, Frederick W.
Vanderbilt, George W.
Vanderbilt, William K.
Webb, William S.
Whitney, Harry Payne
Whitney, William C.
Wilson, Marshall Orme
Wilson, R. T.
Yerkes, Charles F.
|Go To: Gallery of Fifth Avenue|
A single dozen of these names stand in round numbers for twelve hundred million dollars, or an average of one hundred million dollars each. These are startling figures, but how much more startling would they be if the total wealth of these Two Miles of Millionaires could be accurately stated. For instance, the combined Vanderbilt fortunes as represented by the Vanderbilts, the Webbs, the Sloanes, the Shepards, and the Twomblys, is perhaps five hundred million dollars. The wealth of the Astors, not including William Waldorf Astor, who now resides in England, is fully half as much more. William Rockefeller's fortune is a good second to that of the Astors, and he is followed closely by John W. Mackay, Colonel Oliver H. Payne, H. M. Flagler, Collis P. Huntington, George Gould, and Russell Sage. The foregoing represent the colossal fortunes of Fifth Avenue, but there are a good many estates and individual fortunes here that run up to possibly as much as thirty or forty million dollars each. Of course all the residents of this Two Miles of Millionaires are not on a par with the Vanderbilts, the Astors, the Mackays, and the Huntingtons, but they are all rich. There is not enough known publicly, however, of the fortunes of the quieter families for us to give any thing like an accurate estimate of the total wealth of this particular residential section. The man who is undoubtedly the richest in New York, and the richest in America, and the richest in the world as to that matter, is not included in this article, as he does not live on Fifth Avenue. We refer to John D. Rockefeller. He lives just off Fifth Avenue on West Fifty Fourth Street. We have not included in this article any of the rich men living on the cross streets running out of Fifth Avenue. We could not include them, as they would not come strictly under the heading of the Two Miles of Millionaires we are discussing. If we were to diverge at all we should certainly have to take in J. Pierrepont Morgan, whose home is one block east on Madison Avenue.
But this section of Fifth Avenue relatively quite as strong socially as financially. The Astors, perhaps, head the list, of which the Vanderbilts, the Wilsons, the Goelets, the Whitneys, the Oelrichs, the Millses, the Twombtys, the Sloanes, the Webbs, the Bishops, the Gerrys, and the Mortons are among the most notable all "Four Hundreders.
The Waldorf-Astoria, the Renaissance, the Windsor, the Buckingham, the Plaza, the Savoy, and the Netherland are the palatial hotels on this stretch of Fifth Avenue, and on this same stretch are the following clubs: the Manhattan, the New York, the Union League, the Republican, the Lotos, the Democratic, the University, the Military, the Metropolitan, and the Progress.
We made the statement that none but rich men, and we meant men of a good deal of wealth, lived in this district. So far as the individual homes go, this is true, but an exception must be made regarding the residents of hotels and clubs. A man does not necessarily have to be a millionaire to make either of these his home. The cost of living in them, to be sure, is vastly in excess of that required in other sections of the town, but it is not so great as to be prohibitory to the man with a handsome income. The clubs in particular make it possible for him to reside in this ultra fashionable quarter and at a comparatively moderate outlay. They, however, can furnish a home only for the bachelor, or the man living as a bachelor. All these are denied to women. The hotels, then, are the only retreat for the family man who aspires to live on Fifth Avenue and hasn t the means to support an individual establishment. And they make no mean homes either. They are in very fact palaces, luxuriously and artistically furnished. Indeed, so home like and attractive are they that not a few families prefer them to housekeeping families, too, who have the means to keep up first class independent residences. Since it has become the thing to own country places, a good many people find that the big modern hotel serves their purposes for the few winter months they elect to be in town bettet than housekeeping.Munsey's Magazine, Volume XIX, April to September, 1898, New York: Frank A. Munsey, Publisher.
You need only say, "Fifth Avenue" -- New York is understood, and this is true whether you say it to the miner in Alaska, the alfalfa grower in the Great Southwest, or the farmer in Pennsylvania. There are many cities having streets called Fifth Avenue. There is but one Fifth Avenue. Fifth Avenue with its millionaire's row; Fifth Avenue with its multimillion-dollar residences; Fifth Avenue with its magnificent clubs; Fifth Avenue with its luxurious shops; the most luxurious in the new world, perhaps in all the world.
Fifth Avenue is rightly the City's most notable thoroughfare, for it is the City's divisor. From it the side streets take their inception, starting from one side of the Avenue all streets bear the name East, from the other side. West.
One of the most delightful and interesting diversions for strangers visiting the city is a trip up Fifth Avenue from Washington Square on one of the Fifth Avenue motor stages. It is also inexpensive, for it costs but ten cents, and that entitles one to a seat, no passengers being taken after the seats are filled. The stages are comfortably upholstered for those that prefer to ride inside, and the large windows permit of a fine view of the places of interest, but the winding stairway, where the guard is always stationed to assist the passenger, invites one to the top, where the seats, arranged for two, face forward, giving an unequaled view of the avenue and its traffic. The sensation produced by one's first ride on the upper deck of these stages is unique.
As a person rides atop of a Fifth Avenue 'Bus along this notable Avenue he sees in the lower section the substantial, well kept homes of quiet dignity; further uptown those of superb architecture and enormous cost; naturally the query is constantly arising in his mind. "Who lives in that house."
The lapse of a century occasions small change in Old World communities. In America, however -- particularly in this Metropolis, New York the passing of one hundred years witnesses developments so great as to be almost unbelievable. Scattered through the City many old residents may be found who remember hill and dale, marsh and lake where now can be seen nothing but solid stretches of asphalt and masonry.
And no section has witnessed so striking a development as that which we now call Fifth Avenue.
A century ago Fifth Avenue was not a home of fashion and wealth. The Avenue had no existence. It is true that the much derided map makers of 1807 had laid out such a thoroughfare, but the country traversed was a veritable wilderness, and prophecies were freely made that a thousand years would not witness the completion of the City, as planned in the maps. As the plans only contemplated a City extending North to the Harlem River, it will be seen that the prophets of the day were far astray.
Although Fifth Avenue had no existence there was the famous Middle Road which, to some extent, followed the course of the Avenue of to-day. This road forked from the Eastern Post Road at what is now 29th Street and Fourth Avenue, journeyed Northwesterly to what is now Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street. Here it connected with Lowes Lane, by which travelers were lead again to the Eastern Post Road.
A walk along this highway as far as 42d Street would have well repaid the traveler a hundred years ago. From its junction with the Eastern Turnpike the Middle Road rose gradually to an impressive height, skirted Murray Hill and gave a fine view of the surrounding country.
Everything, of course, was farm land. The days of the old Dutch "Boueries" were past, and, in their places were a number of prosperous, well kept farm houses with abundant acres, nearly all being occupied by families well known in this City to-day -- the Murrays, Sehieffelins, Crugers, and Kips, to mention only a few of the names found on the old farm maps. Of all these country seats, perhaps the most famous was that of John Murray, which was bordered by a clear brook of no mean proportions, which after emptying into the translucent waters of Sunfish Pond flowed into Kip's Bay.
"Incleberg," Mr. Murray's country seat, stood not far from what is now Fifth Avenue and 31st Street, and it was here that Mrs. Murray entertained the British officers with the best of wines and her own charming presence long enough to permit Putnam's army to retreat Northward and to join Washington's troops at Harlem Heights.
The point at which the British landed. Kip's Bay (51st Street and East River), would have been visible a hundred years ago from the Middle Road, as would also Kip's Farm, extending along the River as far as 47th Street, with its hills, its abundant woodland, its marsh and meadow and its sparkling streams.
At what is now 42d Street, Middle Road ended and the last semblance of Fifth Avenue as we know it disappeared. Beyond this the country was more barren and rocky, and perhaps the most refreshing feature of the landscape was a rapid stream which runs from the living rock in the block now bounded by Fifth and Sixth Avenues and 46th and 47th Streets. It flowed East through the section now covered by the Windsor Arcade, skirted Murray Hill and emptied into Kip's Bay. And that stream, as Fifth Avenue builders can tell you, flows yet, even though submerged beneath tons of asphalt, brick and mortar.
The ensuing fifty years brought many changes to this Fifth Avenue district. We would find a few remnants of the old roads distinguishable here and there, perhaps, but the enterprising City Fathers, although somewhat in advance of their time, had cut the Avenue and side streets through, and the whole section was ripe for development.
It must be admitted, however, that at the close of the first half of the last century, Fifth Avenue gave but little promise of its distinguished future. The Avenue was then at the hobble-de-hoy stage, midway between the charm of its youth and the magnificence of its maturity -- an age, which in localities as in people, offers little that is pleasing or interesting. Opposite the site later occupied by the Reservoir, and where is now the New York Public Library was a rugged precipice of rocks, crowned with disreputable shanties. East of the Avenue, and in full view of it, were the tracks of the Harlem Railroad. On the present site of the Belmont Hotel stood a blacksmith shop. The Colored Orphan Asylum, which was soon to witness its own grim tragedy, was located between 43d and 44th Streets, while the two blocks from 44th Street to 46th Street were covered by cattle yards. Processions of cattle driven up and down Fifth Avenue were familiar sights; and the diner at Delmonico's now eats his filet, not inappropriately, on the site of an old abattoir.
The scene North was not more promising than that South. From 51st Street to 52d Street, now occupied by the Vanderbilt houses, was a large nursery garden, while still further North lay a large stretch of rocky territory devoted to goat farms. Distinctly, this was the City's Sahara. "What shall we do with this useless country?" A few years later the problem was solved by transforming the bad lands into Central Park.
In all this confusion, the far-seeing predicted a bright future. About this time there was a sale of corporate property. Garrit Storm, a prosperous merchant, purchased the block bounded by Fifth and Sixth avenues, 42d and 43d Streets, for $45,000. Mr. Storm was evidently somewhat nervous about his bargain, for he offered to share it with his brother Stephen, who, however, refused to put his money into such rubbish. This block, now worth many millions of dollars, is still held by the Garrit Storm heirs. One of them is Mrs. Elbridge T. Gerry; another was Dean Eugene A. Hoffmam, who left a fortune in real estate valued at $10,000,000. The foundation of his wealth was his share in the 42d Street block.
At the corner of 47th Street and extending to 51st Street on the North and almost to Sixth Avenue on the West, were the Elgin Botanic Gardens, covering twenty acres of land. In 1814 this tract was deeded by the State to Columbia College to compensate that institution for a New Hampshire township granted long before, but lost when the claim of New York to that territory was relinquished. For many years before the transfer, the Elgin Gardens had borne a graceful part in the intellectual and social life of the City. They were laid out in 1801 by Dr. Hosack, Professor of Botany at Columbia, for the use of his students in their work, and such well known scientists as Le Conte, Michaux, Barton and others were frequently to be seen there. Science kindly shared with fashion the beauty of this early park, for when the favorite residence districts were St. Marks Place, Washington and Stuyvesant Squares and Gramercy Park, the gardens lay at a convenient distance for the afternoon drive. The gift of the Gardens bore the condition that the college should be removed to that site, and, though this was later annulled, it is a fact that when the college in 1857 removed to 49th Street and Madison Avenue, it was expected that so soon as buildings could be completed, the college would occupy the site of the Elgin Gardens. These immensely valuable acres which formed the major portion of the College's endowment, were not joyously received. They were at the time referred to by the College authorities as "A few miles out of the City, and though estimated by the Legislature to be worth $75,000, would not, upon sale, bring more than $6,000 or $7,000."
Another romance of fortunate purchase concerns the block on which the Windsor Arcade now stands. This land appears on old maps as part of the farm of Thomas Buchanan, a prominent merchant of New York, who married the daughter of Jacob Townsend of Oyster Bay. Tradition says that when Mr. Buchanan desired to live in New York, his young wife was unwilling to give up the comforts of the country to which she was accustomed, and especially desired a home which would permit the keeping of the family cow. To humor this wish Mr. Buchanan bought this farm, which has since become one of the costliest portions of the earth's crust. The two daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Buchanan married the Goelet brothers.
For many of the facts contained in this brief history we thank the Windsor Trust Co. The latter half of the Nineteenth Century has witnessed a period of development which has made Fifth Avenue one of the most remarkable thoroughfares of the world, which has enabled it to compare to its advantage, with London's Bond Street and Regent Street, with the Rue de La Paix of Paris, with the Ring of Vienna, and with Unter den Linden of Berlin.
Possibly no street in any city of the world has been so expensively built as this Avenue between 14th and 59th Streets, which in the lifetime of a single generation has been an unimproved waste, a street of stately homes, and finally a centre of luxurious trade.
Starting at the beginning of things he that would see Fifth Avenue finds himself in Washington Square, which, occupying the site of the old Potter's Field, removed from Madison Square in 1797, has now for many years served the purpose of separating the abodes of fashion and prosperity from the slums to the southward. It was in view of the social conditions existing in the district below Washington Square that the south side was chosen as the site of the Mission Church and School erected to the memory of the late Adoniram Judson, the first foreign missionary sent out from the United States. Its great yellow campanile, surmounted by a cross which is illuminated at night, dominates the Square, and its parochial work has, since its establishment in 1892, done much to redeem the character of the neighborhood. The large building on the east side of the Square is the property of the New York University and houses on its upper floors its schools of law, pedagogy, commerce, accounts and finance. It replaces a beautiful old grey stone building in the Tudor style which was moved to the new site of the University in the Borough of the Bronx.
The fine old houses on the north side of the Square -- many of them still occupied by leading New York families -- occupy land which was formerly the farm of Captain Richard Robert Randall, who in 1801 bequeathed it to the Sailors' Snug Harbor, a home for superannuated seamen. The rentals from this farm property, which is many acres in extent, are more than $500,000 a year, and provide more income than can possibly be used by the "Harbor" in the maintenance of its beautiful home on Staten Island.
The north side of the Square and the small section at the beginning of the avenue have preserved their residential character and exclusiveness to a degree that has not been maintained by any other portion of the avenue south of Central Park.
Washington Arch, the commanding feature of the Square, and the City's most notable monument, is the perpetuation in marble of the temporary arch in plaster designed by Stanford White for the celebration in 1889 of Washington's inauguration. It is 77 feet high and has a span of 30 feet. Its cost, $128,000, was raised by popular subscription.
10th Street N. W. corner. The Church of the Ascension, Episcopal. The pulpit of which had been occupied by some of the leading divines of this faith in this country.
12th Street. The First Presbyterian Church, founded in 1716, the oldest church of that denomination in New York.
From 13th Street to 23d Street, which only a few years ago was almost exclusively devoted to residences, churches and clubs, lofty business buildings, occupied largely for wholesale trade purposes, are now the rule.
The Fuller or "Flat Iron" Building at 23d Street (better known by the latter name from the form of its ground plan) has a world-wide fame because of its unique architectural characteristics, and it is also noted as having produced the windiest corner in New York.
The Fifth Avenue Building on the northwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 23d Street, has only recently replaced the old Fifth Avenue Hotel, which from its opening in 1859 was celebrated as the stopping place of the most notable visitors to New York.
Madison Square Park was laid out as a Potter's Field in 1794. The United States government erected an arsenal thereon in 1806.
The east side of Madison Square is notable for its buildings. The entire block from 23d Street to 24th Street is occupied by the great office building and tower of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. The tower is the highest structure in the world, being fifty stories and 700 feet above the pavement.
The Madison Square Presbyterian Church (Dr. Parkhurst's just north of the Metropolitan tower is a fine example of Byzantine architecture.
The Appellate Division Court House at the north east corner of 25th Street and Madison Square is one of New York's most notable buildings because of its architecture, sculpture and mural decorations. It was completed in 1900 at a cost of $750,000.
The Manhattan Club at the S. E. corner of 26th Street and Madison Square, the conservative Democratic organization of the City, occupies the former home of the University Club. It has a very distinguished membership.
Madison Square Garden, occupying the entire block at the northeast corner of Madison Square and 26th Street, is the largest amusement building in America. Designed by Stanford White and completed in 1890, at a cost of $3,000,000, it is one of the most beautiful buildings in New York. Its tower, surmounted by a statue of Diana, is an adaptation of the Giralda in Seville, Spain.
Returning to Fifth Avenue the Cafe Martin, at the southwest corner of 26th Street, occupying the building which for many years was Delmonico's, is the French restaurant par excellence of New York.
The Brunswick Building, on the north side of Madison Square, stands on the site of the Hotel Brunswick, which for many years was New York's most fashionable hotel.
29th Street. The Calumet Club at the northeast corner of 29th Street is one of the fashionable clubs for young men.
The Church of the Transfiguration on 29th Street just east of Fifth Avenue, is better known as "The Little Church Around the Corner."
The Marble Collegiate Church at the northwest corner of 30th Street (Dutch Reformed) is the oldest Protestant church organization in America, dating from 1614.
The Holland House immediately north of the Marble Collegiate Church, is one of New York's most fashionable hotels.
The Knickerbocker Club at the northeast corner of 32d Street is one of the most fashionable and exclusive clubs in New York.
The Waldorf-Astoria on the west side of the Avenue from 33d to 34th Streets, is the largest and most luxurious hotel in the world. It was built and is owned by William Waldorf Astor and John Jacob Astor and is said to have cost about $12,000,000. It has accommodations for 1,500 guests, and an equal number of servants is employed within its walls.
On the northwest corner of 34th Street on the site of the residence of the late Alexander T. Stewart stands the white marble building of the Knickerbocker Trust Company.
At the northeast corner of 34th Street is the department store of B. Altman & Company, the first large enterprise of this nature to enter Fifth Avenue.
Ascending Murray Hill at the southwest corner of 36th Street stands the building of the Gorham Company, silversmiths, one of the handsomest business buildings in the city, and at the southeast corner of 37th Street the beautiful building of Tiffany & Co., world-famed for its jewelry and silverware. This building was designed by Stanford White.
37th Street. The Brick Church, one of the most fashionable Presbyterian churches, was formerly presided over by Dr. Henry Van Dyke.
At the northeast corner of 39th Street is the Union League Club, a very representative Republican political club, which was organized in 1863 to aid the cause of the Union.
On the west side of the Avenue from 40th to 42d Streets is the beautiful new building of the New York Public Library, of which Carrere & Hastings are the architects. It will when completed afford shelf room for over 1,500.000 books.
The library, which is a consolidation of the Astor. Lenox and Tilden foundations, occupies the site of the old Croton Reservoir in Bryant Park. The Astor Library was founded in 1849 by John Jacob Astor; the Lenox Library in 1870 by James Lenox; the Tilden Trust, incorporated in 1887, as a result of compromise in a law suit, received by bequest $2,000,000. In August, 1901 the Park Department contracted for a building to cost about $9,000,000. The corner stone was laid November 10, 1902.
On the northeast corner of 43d Street is Temple Emanu-El, a Jewish synagogue, which is regarded as one of the finest examples of Moorish architecture in America.
On the southeast corner of 44th Street stands the Night and Day Bank, and on the northeast and southwest corners respectively are Delmonico's and Sherry's Restaurants. Delmonico's is the oldest and most famous restaurant in America and one of the best known in the world. Sherry's is a younger establishment, which has obtained a world-wide fame in the last quarter century. Each of these establishments is the scene of many social functions, dinners, receptions and balls, and the resort of fashion the year round.
The Windsor Arcade at 46th to 47th Streets occupies the site of the Windsor Hotel, destroyed by fire in 1899 with a large loss of life. The Arcade buildings will shortly be torn down to make way for two or more large buildings.
47th Street. Back of the Windsor Arcade and occupying the entire block on Madison Avenue from 46th to 47th Streets towers the Carlton House just nearing completion. It will be conducted by the same management as the Ritz and Carlton Hotels in London.
No. 617. The National Democratic Club, between 49th and 50th Streets. Founded in 1871. Has a membership of nearly 3000. The names of many of the prominent men of the City, State and Union are on its membership rolls.
St. Patrick's Cathedral, 50th to 51st Streets, is the largest and most beautiful church edifice in America. The architect was James Renwick. It was built of granite and white marble at a cost of nearly $3,000,000, and has a seating capacity of 2500.
The Union Club on the northwest corner of 51st Street is the oldest and most representative of New York's fashionable clubs.
Opposite the Union Club are the brown stone residences known as the "Vanderbilt Twin" houses.
At 53d Street is St. Thomas' Church (Protestant Episcopal), which was burned in 1905 but has since been temporarily rebuilt.
No. 683. Criterion Club, an exclusive Jewish social organization.
The University Club on the northwest corner of 54th Street is another of New York's most notable and representative clubs and has a very large and distinguished membership, which is limited to graduates of colleges and universities. The sculptured seals of eighteen colleges are a feature of the exterior decoration.
Gotham Hotel S.W. corner 55th Street. Recent additions to the City's prominent fashionable hotels.
St. Regis Hotel, S.E. corner 55th Street. Noted for its luxurious appointments.
55th Street. The Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church celebrated for many years as the pulpit of the late Dr. John Hall.
57th Street. At this point stages diverge from 5th Avenue for Riverside Drive which they traverse for nearly four miles passing enroute Carnegie Hall, the Academy of Fine Arts, Columbus Circle, the New Theatre, the residences of Charles M. Schwab and many others, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Claremont and Grant's Tomb, affording an unsurpassed view of the Hudson River -- a trip never to be forgotten.
Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt, West Side from 57th to 58th Streets. Conceded to be the finest residence architecturally in this country -- French Renaissance.
Plaza Hotel. Another recent addition to the palatial hotels of New York City. Its ideal location appeals to many of the fashionable people of the country.
Entrances to Central Park. This great park extends from 109th Street to 110th Street about two and one-half miles long and from 9th Avenue to Eighth Avenue, contains 845 acres, 18.5 in lakes and reservoirs -- 400 in forest. In trees and shrubs over half a million -- 31 miles of walks -- over 5 miles of bridle paths, and 9 miles of road. The Mall is a broad promenade a quarter of a mile long, 208 feet wide bordered in a double row of Elm trees and famous for its collection of statues. Just beyond the lake is the ramble 36 acres; passing into the Belvidere, a tower of stone, we see Rustic Cabins, gorges and waterfalls; then the city reservoir, and on the left the Museum of Natural History. Public Park Carriages can be had in seasonable weather at the entrance 59th Street and Eighth Avenue for a trip around the park. Fare 25 cents.
Metropolitan Club, commonly known as the Millionaires' Club, one of the leading fashionable social organizations of the City.
14th Street. "The Arsenal," office of the Park Department, recently came into prominence as the result of an unsuccessful attempt made in 1909 to obtain this site for the National Academy of Design.
64th Street. Entrance to the Central Park Menagerie which contains collections of birds, animals and reptiles.
70th to 71st Streets. Lenox Library, presented to the City in 1870 by James Lenox together with his entire collection of rare books, manuscripts and paintings. Having now been merged in the New York Public Library the building has been sold to Mr. Henry Frick who will replace it with a residence.
Opposite the library is the Hunt Memorial to Richard Morris Hunt, Oct. 31, 1828, July 31, 1895. In recognition to his services to the cause of art in America, this memorial was erected in 1898 by the art societies of New York.
72d Street Entrance. Entrance for the Casino Restaurant, the Terrace, the Mall and the Lake.
74th Street. The Pickhardt House, now owned by Rev. Alfred Duane Pell was commenced in 1875 by William Pickhardt an eccentric dealer in chemicals who strove to outdo the Stewart palace at 34th Street, and finished in 1889 after many interruptions and changes in plans at a cost of over $1,000,000. It was never occupied by the original owner.
76th Street. Temple Beth-El, 76th Street. Jewish Synagogue unique in its architecture. It cost $750,000.
Senator Clark's Residence, N.E. corner 77th Street. Magnificent residence in granite and bronze costing about fifteen millions and when entirely completed will be considered one of the show places of the world. Commenced Aug. 1897.
79th Street Entrance. Entrance for the Egyptian Obelisk.
82nd Street. The Metropolitan Museum of Art is the largest and richest Art Museum in America and probably attracts more visitors than any other public or private building in New York. No visit to New York is complete which does not include it. Admission free, except Mondays and Fridays, 25 cents. Monday and Friday evenings 8 to 10 p.m.
Henry Phipps, N.E. corner 87th Street. Beautiful marble residence with its spacious grounds makes one of the attractive sights of the city.
Andrew Carnegie, East Side between 90th and 91st Streets. Occupies nearly a square block. Beautifully laid out grounds surround a splendid residence -- known all over the world as one of New York City's palatial homes.
90th Street Entrance. Entrance to the Reservoir. The American Museum of Natural History open week days from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sundays 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Admission free.