For eighty years Delmonico's has been the leading restaurant of America. Established by Peter and John Delmonico in 1827, it at once became the fashionable resort of the city and has never since retrograded from that position.

Delmonico's first achieved its reputation because of the excellence of its cooking, the perfection of its vintages and the art which marked its services. All these component principles of dining are still preserved and wherever improvements are found expedient its patrons are the recipients of those benefits.

Its cellars are stocked with every wine that connoisseurs may demand, the rarest and oldest vintages being always at the command of patrons, and all are kept in such condition as is called for by their varying qualities. Nothing but the highest grade of all delicacies is used in this establishment — a rule that has obtained for three generations.

Delmonico's has moved successively, as the residential portion of the city advanced northward on Manhattan Island, from its original house to Fourteenth Street in 1862, thence to Broadway and Twenty-sixth Street in 1875 and thence to its present location at Fifth Avenue and Forty-fourth Street in 1897. It has always been identified with the heart of the fashionable district and, should the future call for another establishment still farther uptown, there is every reason to believe that the call will receive the same response as have those of the past.

The house at Beaver and William Streets, in its comparatively modern building erected in 1895, is still in active operation and is daily thronged with the bankers, lawyers and merchants who transact their business in the great exchanges, banking houses and business offices in the neighborhood of which it is the central point.


Mouseover Expands Images
DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico

Both the Fifth Avenue house and that on Beaver Street are under the sole ownership of Miss Josephine C. Delmonico, while their management is in the hands of Mr. Eugene Garnier, for more than twenty-five years connected with the house and for more than fifteen its active manager.

The Fifth Avenue house was built about ten years ago at a cost of, approximately, one million dollars and stands today as the acme of perfection in restaurant architecture. Tasteful, yet simple, decorations in floral and artistic artisanship mark its every detail.

On the ground floor will be found the Cafe, extending along the easterly side of the building and facing on Forty-fourth Street; an exquisite apartment in the Old English style, particularly designed to rest and relieve the eye by the harmony of its decorations and the simplicity of its furnishings.

The Palm Garden, with its beautiful arched glass dome, its plate glass wall and its tall, slender palms which may be seen from the corridors, should be viewed at night to be best appreciated; for then, with the twinkling candles on every table and the fronds of the palms waving gracefully while scores of ladies and gentlemen dine, the scene is one to be ever remembered. This room, and the ladies and gentlemen's dining room on the Fifth Avenue front, are finished in oak and pointed with gold, while the furnishings, in rich, red silks and velvets, lend an atmosphere of comfort and coolness in Summer and warmth and restfulness in Winter.


Mouseover Expands Images
DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico

There are three ballrooms, the largest having a capacity, when used as a banquet room, of four hundred and twenty-five persons, seated. The upper floors are partially devoted to these ballrooms, to private dining rooms and banquet halls.

One of the most beautiful rooms in the building is the reception room on the third floor on the Fifth Avenue side. This room is 38 by 60 feet in dimensions and is finished in ivory and gold, with a musicians' gallery at the north end.

Twelve private dining rooms for small parties are located on the upper floors, each having its own private reception room and each floor being equipped with its own service rooms, so that there is never the slightest conflict in any regard. These rooms accommodate from twelve to thirty persons with comfort, and all are furnished with care to their particular needs and size.

Delmonico's has its own warehouse for the distribution of rare wines and, to assure both age and uniformity in the quality of its special brands, it may be mentioned that it buys its wines and liquors in large lots direct from the place or country of their production, storing and using them as occasion demands.


Mouseover Expands Images
DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico

The two top floors are arranged in bachelor quarters, where a small number of suites are provided for the accommodation of those who are real lovers of a solitary life, and on the easterly end of the fifth and six floors is the Winter Garden, particularly designed for stag dinners and for the use of those who care for the enjoyment of a private cafe in connection with the dances and weddings, where smoking, because of the presence of many ladies, is not customary.


Mouseover Expands Images
DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico

The force which moves this establishment consists of an army of cooks, butlers, maids, waiters and others whose business and pleasure it is to exert all their energies toward the comfort of the guests of the house. In the kitchen there are, besides the Chef, fifty cooks under the direction of specialist assistant chefs in each branch of the art of catering. The chefs, or assistants, who make any particular portion of the menu, such as soups, sauces or entrees, have nothing whatever else to do; likewise does this apply to game, to fish, to vegetables, to pastry and creams and all the other viands which make up the necessities of such an establishment.

Therefore, by such a system, a greater degree of perfection is attained and retained. Everything is systematized, and more than two hundred employes are at the instant command of the Manager, to carry out his orders; so that at no time is either a small dinner party or the largest banquet delayed or disjointed in any manner.


Mouseover Expands Images
DelmonicoDelmonico DelmonicoDelmonico

In conclusion, a word concerning the outside catering business of Delmonico's may not be out of place. Although at times, during the busy season, as many as six hundred persons are served in the restaurant, Palm Garden and Cafe, and six or eight hundred in the banquet halls above, yet, on the same day, perhaps even at the same hour, other parties, unlimited as to number, are being served in town or in the country, sometimes many miles away. Delmonico's has long made a specialty of these outside parties, and is ready at all times, fully equipped with men and material, to serve from the simplest collation to the most elaborate course dinners, furnishing every requisite, anywhere that can be reached by rail, regardless of distance or the number of guests.

This is but an outline of the character of the work of the house which has been for many years the leading restaurant of America. It makes its respects to its present patrons and begs to welcome the newcomer who wishes to taste the best that experience and knowledge can produce in the art of dining.



Return

Delmonico

A Night Out at Delmonico's